Caroline Ostrom provides personalized immigration law services to Ostrom Law Office’s corporate and individual clients. Ms. Ostrom is also a frequent speaker on business immigration and served as Chair of the Minnesota/Dakotas Chapter of AILA (American Immigration Lawyers Association).
Ms. Ostrom assists companies and individuals in obtaining visas and green cards in the U.S. and at consulates worldwide. On the employment side, representative cases include H-1Bs (temporary worker), TNs (NAFTA Professional), L-1A/L-1B (intracompany transferee), E-2 (treaty investor), O-1 (outstanding ability), EB-5 (Immigrant investor), PERM (Labor Cert.), Extraordinary Ability Petitions (EB-1A), Multinational Executives or Managers (EB-1C), EB-2 National Interest Waivers (EB-2 NIW), and Outstanding Professor or Researcher Petitions (EB-1B). Ms. Ostrom’s clients range from established companies to start-ups. She has had success responding to difficult Requests for Evidence on complex cases. She also brings her experience as in-house immigration counsel to advise clients on HR immigration compliance matters, including I-9s, LCA Public Access Files, and E-verify.
On the family side, cases include fiancee petitions (K-1), marriage-based cases (I-130/I-485/I-864 Affidavit of Support), removal of conditions (I-751 petitions), I-601 and I-601A waivers, and J-1 waivers. Ms. Ostrom also represents clients filing for U.S. citizenship, identifying any issues involved in a particular case, and successfully applying for waivers of the English or Civics test when appropriate.
Ms. Ostrom's 20 years of legal experience, including as an associate general counsel for an IT consulting company, gives her clients a full service approach to their immigration issues.
- Minnesota, 1997
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
University of Minnesota Law School
J.D. (Cum Laude) – 1997
Honors in Legal Writing and Research
B.A., History (Cum Laude) – 1992
- Panelist, “E-Visas 101 – How to Venture into the Practice of Investor Visas,” Minnesota State Bar Association, Minneapolis, November 2020
- Panelist, “Fundamentals of Business Immigration,” 2020 Upper Midwest Immigration Law Virtual Conference, Minneapolis, May 2020
- Presenter, “Business Immigration for the Hospitality Industry,” Twin Cities Hospitality Personnel Association, Bloomington, July 2019
- Panelist, “Practical Advice on Hot Topics in U.S. Immigration Law - 6 Months into the Trump Administration,” Minnesota State Bar Association (MSBA), Minneapolis, June 2017
- Presenter, “Business Immigration and the New Administration,” Minnesota Talent & Recruiting Network (MNTRN) Lunch and Learn, Minneapolis, June 2017.
- Panelist, Working Effectively with Corporate Clients, Upper Midwest Immigration Law Conference, AILA, Minneapolis, May 2016
- Moderator, Advanced PERM Panel, Upper Midwest Immigration Law Conference, AILA, Minneapolis, April 2015
- Moderator, H-1B Primer and Tips for the FY 2016 Cap Season, Minneapolis, March 2015
- Speaker, Immigration 101, Introduction to Immigration Basics, MSBA, Minneapolis, 2012
- Panelist, Your First H-1B: What You Need to Know, Upper Midwest Immigration Law Conference, AILA, St. Paul, April 2012
- Speaker, Business Immigration and Compliance for HR Professionals, TCHRA Spring Conference 2011
- Speaker, Overview of U.S. Immigration Law for Interpreters, University of Minnesota, 2011
- Speaker, Business Immigration and Compliance for HR, SWNHRA, 2010
- Speaker, Overview of U.S. Immigration Law for Interpreters, University of Minnesota, 2009
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Minnesota/Dakotas Chapter, American Immigration Lawyers Association
Chair, 2016 - 2017
Vice Chair, 2015-2016
Member, 2000 - Present
Past Employment Positions
- Analysts International Corporation, Associate General Counsel, 2004 - 2009
- Tuft & Arnold, PLLP, Associate, 2003 - 2004
- Rider Bennett, LLP, Associate, 1999 - 2003
- Minnesota Court of Appeals, Judicial Law Clerk, 1998 - 1999
Pro Bono Activities
- Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota, Volunteer Attorney, 2009 - Present
- MN Advocates for Human Rights, Volunteer Attorney, 2000 - 2006