Temporary Visas

H-1B Specialty Occupation Visa

The H-1B is a temporary (non-immigrant) employer-sponsored visa for a foreign worker in a “specialty occupation.” The H-1B can be issued for up to three years, and then extended for an additional three years, for a total of six years in H-1B stat… Read More

L-1A / L-1B Intracompany Transferee

The L-1 visa permits multinational companies to transfer certain individuals into the United States. The L-1A is for executives and managers, while the L-1B is for “specialized knowledge” workers. Like the H-1B, an L-1 is a “dual intent” noni… Read More

TN NAFTA Professionals

The TN Visa is a non-immigrant visa option for citizens of Canada and Mexico. It was created as part of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), and now continues to be available under the U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA). Caroline Ostrom… Read More

E-2 Treaty Investor Visa

The E-2 visa is a non-immigrant, temporary visa for qualifying investors to direct and develop a U.S. company. The E-2 can be used to start a business or buy an existing business in the U.S., but the individual and majority ownership of the company m… Read More

O-1 Extraordinary Ability

The O-1 is a temporary, nonimmigrant visa for individuals who have demonstrated extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, athletics, or the motion picture/TV industry. Caroline Ostrom, Minneapolis business immigration attorney… Read More

Green Card Through Employment

PERM (Labor Certification)

Caroline Ostrom, Minneapolis business immigration attorney, helps employers evaluate whether a position is suitable for Permanent Labor Certification (PERM) and assists with every step of the PERM process. The PERM is the first of three processes nee… Read More

EB-1A Extraordinary Ability and EB-1B Outstanding Professor / Researcher

EB-1 petitions are intended for the most highly qualified foreign nationals. These petitions have two distinct advantages over most other employment-based immigrant petitions. First, no labor certification (PERM) is required for EB-1 petitions. Secon… Read More

EB-1C Multinational Manager or Executive

The Multinational Manager or Executive EB-1C visa allows international companies to transfer top-level executives and managers to the U.S. as permanent residents. It is similar to the L-1A temporary visa, but the intent here is for the Manager or Exe… Read More

EB-2 National Interest Waiver

A National Interest Waiver (NIW) petition is an appealing option for those who qualify, to petition for legal permanent residence. A National Interest Waiver (NIW) petition requests that the PERM (Labor Certification) requirement be waived for the sa… Read More

I-140 – Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker based on a Labor Certification (PERM)

Caroline Ostrom, Minneapolis business immigration attorney, assists employers with every step of the I-140, Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker. Form I-140 is typically filed with USCIS upon receiving an approved labor certification from the Departme… Read More

I-485– Employment-Based Application to Adjustment to Legal Permanent Resident

Caroline Ostrom, Minneapolis business immigration attorney, assists clients with every step of the I-485, Application for Permanent Residence. This is the final step necessary for a green card through employment for all workers – including categori… Read More